Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What is the Help Desk?

The help desk is a discussion based blog for those requesting help and those who can provide help.

For my first topic I've chosen:

What is the best way for someone to vent over an injustice that was done to them?

For example in my own life I recently vented over the injustice of being screamed at for four days because I loudly commented that I was overwhelmed while trying to pack a full sized bathroom into a tow behind travel trailer's bathroom.

In short, it was late morning and all I wanted to do was go take a shower in our apartment when the person I was working with, brought out three large totes of bathroom stuff and put them in the trailer. Now what is the big deal you ask? Well the trailer is 26' long by 8' wide and has no slide out rooms. So the walking area was covered and I was trapped inside until I could get the totes emptied out, moved to the couch or dining benches. In addition, we hadn't hooked up the water or filled the holding tanks so there was no way to use anything requiring water in the trailer.

While all this was happening my daughter called me to ask me if she could borrow the truck to go camping. The very truck I needed to move the trailer. It was for one night so I said okay I would trade her vehicles for a day since we weren't planning on moving the trailer for at least another week. While I was talking to her she said, "what's wrong mom? You sound annoyed." I said very loudly, "I am annoyed, He keeps bringing up more totes and I haven't even had a chance to empty the first three yet, and all I want to do is go take a shower." Then I said bye to her and hung up the phone.

Well this was the start of the four day rant. You see I lived next to a very busy park with a 3/4 mile paved walking path around it. It was about 50 degrees out so there were a lot of people walking their dogs, playing at the playground with their kids, or jogging around the park.

The next thing I hear from my fiance was "why don't you tell everyone how stupid I am? why not call up your daughter? she doesn't like me anyways. I left our shower stuff in the apartment."

I said "I'm sorry honey I just got overwhelmed and she called me to ask for something and asked me why I sounded annoyed so I blurted it out."

Then comes the same venting from him that I heard for four days. "You think I am an idiot and that I don't know what I am doing. I thought we were moving all of our stuff out of the apartment and into the travel trailer. We only have a week to get everything moved out and I don't want to wait until the last minute to do everything. I am 53 years old and no one has ever helped me move, I know what I am doing."

I again said "I'm sorry, I blurted out my frustration so that everyone could hear. What is it that you want me to do?"

His answer: "I want you to call up your daughter and tell her that I am not an idiot and go tell everyone in the park that heard you."

I said, "she is going to call me back in a little bit and I will be sure to tell her when you can hear me that you left all the shower stuff down in the apartment but I am not going to tell everyone in the park. Besides, the people that heard it are probably gone by now anyways"

His response, "I don't care, I want you to go out in the park and tell everyone anyway."

My response, "No I am not going to do that, now I am going to go take a shower and then bring more stuff up to the trailer."

For the rest of the day I went through my clothes and transferred the ones that I was keeping into the trailer. I tried to talk to my fiance but I could tell he was still upset at me and was avoiding me.

He was in the trailer most of the day watching movies, chain smoking cigs and drinking rum & iced tea.

This continued for 3 more days with intermittent bouts of screaming.

I will post later what I did, but here is my question: What would you do if someone wouldn't let something go and screamed at you for four days?

1 comment:

A to Zen said...

I have no idea. No one has ever screamed at me for four days. And if they tried they would find themselves screaming into an empty room. There is no way I would put up with it.